Whether you have a dedicated room for your craft activities or need to work on them in a shared space, by organising and properly storing your supplies you will not only keep things where you need them, but keep your crafting space from encroaching on other areas of your home.
An important leisure activity for many and an income earner for some, crafting requires space. Room to spread out and move around in when the activity is underway, as well as an sufficient storage area for all of your tools and supplies when they’re not in use.
Here are some ideas to help you get your craft in shape.
In your craft room
1. Think outside the square for usable storage space. Commandeer wall space or the inside of cupboard doors.
2. Use wall-mounted tracks to hang pots or containers from to free up valuable bench or table space.
3. Store like-with-like. Depending on your craft, group similar items together and break groups down into colour coded sub-groups that makes sense for storage and usability.
4. Store smaller containers together inside larger ones and put away. Lids may not be necessary here and facilitate easy access.
5. Install floating storage overhead to utilise otherwise wasted space.
6. Use see-through containers for easy identification.
7. Label everything!
8. Create an inspiration board using pinboard painted in your wall colour or covered in linen to blend in with the room.
9. Choose a tall table to place in the centre of the room so it’s easy to walk around and work at.
If sharing a space
10. Next to where you work, declutter a cupboard of other items and set aside a dedicated space for craft materials storage. Having a nearby place to store craft items means you’re less likely to leave things out.
11. Transform a cupboard into a crafting area by fitting a pull-out desk unit or extendable shelf inside it that can be folded away after use.
12. Store craft supplies in a station or trolley on wheels to bring to the task, then wheel away when you’re finished.
13. Tuck a small drawer unit under a bookshelf to keep craft items separate. All the better if it’s on wheels.
14. Use attractive baskets and boxes to store your craft supplies that match your other interior furnishings.