Nothing says ambience like a fragrant candle in your home.
You don't really need an excuse to light a candle in your home and, once you've developed an addiction, there's really no going back. It seems there are few people who don't appreciate a beautifully boxed candle as a gift. We found that even Megan Gale is a devotee and can't get enough of new fragrances as they come on the market.
The team at Home Beautiful is no different. "It doesn’t matter if we have people coming over I will light a candle most nights," says HB picture editor Helen. "If you pick the right candle, not only can they create a lovely ambience in your home but also help with your moods." With this in mind, we've done the research and the HB team has compiled a list of must-have candles for your wishlist - be it for your Christmas stocking, someone else's or for no reason at all.
1. Vanilla Royale 1 wick soy candle in Rosegold, $29.99, Dusk
For a soft aroma, this beautifully scented soy candle has a blend of vanilla and cashmere.
2. Cuban Tobacco candle, $65, Lumira
The perfect dusky, moody unisex scent with flavours of tangerine, cardamom and clove.
3. Diptyque Tubéreuse candle, $78, Mecca
Quintessentially Diptyque, this feminine fragrance has the rich scent of the delicate tuberose flower.
4. Byredo Cotton Poplin fragranced candle, $40, Mecca
"My all-time favourite candle. It smells like fresh linen. I burnt through mine way too fast as I always had it burning every time I came home!"Julia Nadin
5. Montego Bay Coconut Lime candle, $42.95, Glasshouse
"For when I want to be in a tropical paradise..."Ellie Griffiths
6. Mr. Moss, $65, SOH Melbourne
Moss, wood, vetiver & smoke. "A sense of sophistication."
7. Madison Jar in Dark Chocolate, $44.95, Meringue & Raspberry, Ecoya
Your house guests will think you're serving dessert before dinner when they arrive with this heady fragrance of almond, chocolate and hints of vanilla, raspberry and caramel. "Everyone that comes into my house comments on the aroma," says junior features writer Holly of her favourite.
8. Emporium Classics Lychee Flower fragrant candle, $49.95, Mor
Lavish hand-poured black soy wax makes up this candle, fragranced to exude a mood of opulence.
"One of my favourite relaxing rituals is lighting some candles as the sun is setting to make the house feel cosy and inviting."Helen Petrou
9. Amalfi Coast Sea Mist, $42.95, Glasshouse
A gorgeous, fresh fragrance reminiscent of holidays on the Italian riviera.
"I place the smallest size in the powder room and it gives off just the right amount of perfume to delicately scent the room, without being at all overwhelming. Love!"Jane Parbury
10. 'Peace' Eco-luxury glass candle, $44.95, Ikou
Turkish rose to soothe and nurture the heart, blended with pure rose, rose geranium & ylang ylang oils.
11. Peony & white rose in copper vessel, $69.95, Hutwoods
Comforting and serene with delicate floral notes of peony, white rose and fresh jasmine.
12. Stoneglow 'All I want for Chrismas is Prosecco', $39.95, McGloins Supertex.
Warm cinnamon, citrus and sandalwood fragrance with sweet metallic message.
13. Voluspa Gilt Pomander & Hinoki candle, $49.95, Saison
Festive and fancy, fragranced with holly berries, cardamon and Japanese Hinoki - the species of pine tree used for Japanese soaking bath tubs.
14. 'Cute but psycho' large candle, $39.95, Damselfly
Long, deep breaths of creamy coconut, soft musk and white florals. Like a summer fling for your senses. Cute message too.
15. 'Stress less' artisan candle, $39.95, Buckley & Phillips
An aroma designed to gently sedate and calm the mind, with essential oils of sweet orange, French lavender, Frankincense, cedarwood and cinnamon.
16. Jo Malone London Pomegranate Noir Home Candle, $88, David Jones
The sensuality of a daring red dress. Ruby-rich juices of pomegranate, raspberry and plum, spiked with pepper and laced with Casablanca lily and spicy woods. Dark and Enigmatic.
For more inspiration click here.