- I always choose softer colors for bedrooms as they represent a place to rest, so restorative colours tend to dictate my bedroom palettes. Although, I’m not afraid to throw a bright accent cushion into the mix to shake the room up a little.
- The best way to add bright, bold colours to a bedroom is via art and soft furnishings, they’re replaceable and interchangeable, and therefore practical.
- I would say that a good bedroom needs to appeal to all of the senses. So I look to a beautiful candle for scent, my Sonos speaker for relaxation music, and to textured, muted layers in my linens.
- I like to use natural linens because they’re lovely to sleep in and don't need to be ironed! Their natural fibres lend themselves to a more relaxed, creased look without the effort.
- Play around with the pillow configuration and always aim for plump inserts, saggy ones let the look down. This includes duvet inserts, for an extra plump look, put two duvets into the cover.
- Look for accent cushions that tie back to other colour cues in the room. For instance, you may choose to pull out a colour from an artwork and repeat that.
- Texture is key for a good looking styled bed. Play with velvets, linens, wools, and fur to create a well-layered bed.
This article originally appeared on Better Homes and Gardens.
You might also like: