We share our top tips for creating a dreamy office space.
- Scout out unused areas in your home: can you ‘borrow’ unused space from a landing, hallway or under the stairs? As long as you have a laptop and wireless connection, the fitout can be as simple as a desk, chair and overhead shelf.
- Position your desk near a window and keep heavy window treatments to a minimum; light sheers or a diaphanous blind are as dense as you want to go.
- If you’re fitting your office nook into an alcove, look to build in to make the most of your space; consider cabinetry and shelving from Bunnings and Ikea.
- A bench seat, fitted with rails to suspend hanging files, can do double duty in a small area; ensure the seat cushion is well padded for comfort.
- If you don’t have room for a conventional filing cabinet, pick pretty storage boxes to keep your paperwork under control and mess at bay.
- It isn’t necessary to have an ‘office’ chair – but it’s important that it’s comfortable and ergonomically sound for long periods of sitting. Ensure the seat height allows your feet to rest flat on the floor and your thighs to stay parallel to the floor and you should have ample back support, allowing for the natural curve of your spine.
- You’ll need a desk lamp, but in an on-display nook, plump for a model that delivers targeted task lighting as well as striking good looks.
- Decorate! A nook lined with wallpaper or painted a different colour can look amazing, and define the area as a spot for separate tasks.