Creating a room with beautiful layers involves a few key things to follow. Sage X Clare creator Phoebe Bell tells us exactly how to do it - without making a mess!
1. "Starting with your sheets, I like to choose linen with a colour that works in with the rest of the look. It doesn’t need to look deliberately matched, but sheets in a neutral or a soft colour often works well and will give your bed a great foundation without being the main player," says Phoebe.
2. "Next, look at your pillowcases and have some fun with them. Gone are the days where bedlinen must be in a set - we now have lots more freedom around mixing and matching, which is also a really easy and affordable way to mix up the look of your bedroom.
At Sage x Clare, we tend to choose four individual pillowcases with a common thread across the colour palette. If you have patterned pillows, make sure you have them in a variety of print scales - this is the secret to pattern-on-pattern looking curated rather than a mish-mash."
3. "Depending on your style, you may like to choose a plain or patterned quilt cover that ties in with one or two of your pillowcases. Again, your colour palette is really important here as it will bring the look together."
4. "Beds always look more finished with either a blanket or bedcover draped across the end. This will break up the expanse of bed and keep it feeling layered. When considering a blanket or bedcover, keep texture at the forefront of your mind as this is the place to bring it in!"
5. "We always get asked how many cushions are too many! There’s no right or wrong answer here but we do love a cushion or four! Two large Euro size cushions in block colours to place behind your pillowcases and a couple of smaller textural cushions at the front will certainly complete the look."
6. "When it comes to making the bed, it doesn’t need to be perfect. A small amount of looseness is actually more forgiving and will give it a laid-back vibe that is in keeping with what a bed should be - a place to rest and relax."
7. "If you’ve got plenty of pattern and layers in the room, then it’s always a good to keep your bedside tables simple and clear of clutter. A curation of books, a beautiful lamp and some greenery is all you need!"
For more information, go to Sage X Clare.