We’re excited by the influx of eco friendly players entering the household cleaning game and are happy to embrace the trend.
It’s a welcome return to cleaning our homes with products made from natural ingredients or even better, handmade by us! The trend sees housekeeping coming full circle and begs us to dig out housekeeping books and recipes of yesteryear.
Tips for environmentally friendly cleaning in your home
- Vinegar is your best friend- use with old newspaper to get a crystal clear finish on mirrors and glass surfaces
- Add old citrus peels to vinegar, baking soda and water for a natural cleaner for bench tops that are safe for your family and eschew harsh chemicals. **Avoid using lemon and vinegar on marble benchtops however, as the natural acids will corrode the stone, leaving permanent marks
- Olive or coconut oil and lemon on an old cloth for polishing wooden furniture is a great natural option and easily accessible from the pantry
- A few drops of essential oil in the toilet gives it a fresh aroma - try orange or eucalyptus!
5 ways a lemon can cut through your cleaning jobs
- Clean cutting board by cutting a lemon in half, squeeze the juice onto the board, rub it in with the lemon half, then allow to sit for 20 minutes. Wipe clean.
- Brighten clothes by adding stained items to a pot of water with a few lemon slices and allow to boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Clean stained food containers by squeezing lemon juice onto stained plastic, rub with the cut side of the lemon, let dry then wash.
- Refresh your bathtub with a paste made from baking soda, cream of tartar and a little lemon juice. Wipe paste all over bathtub and allow to sit to 30 minutes. Rinse clean with water and a soft cloth.
- Clean brass and copper with the cut edge of half a lemon dipped into salt and rubbed onto surface.
Our picks of the latest natural cleaning products on the market:
We are loving Koala Eco cleaning products that are more than just beautiful packaging in the bathroom. They’re made from natural ingredients for a more environmentally friendly approach to cleaning your home.
The range from Organic Clean draws on over 50 years’ experience in the organic cosmetic industry and uses certified organic ingredients to clean your entire household.
Bondi Wash uses the unique properties of Australian botanicals to bring out the best in natural home and skin care in their 99-100% plant based products.
You might also like: