In a well-appointed pamper zone, clearing the clutter is essential for a sense of calm. With a plethora of options, from floating shelves and freestanding units to bespoke boxes and slick mirrored cabinetry, merging form and function is a breeze. As the bathroom is becoming a place to express your individual style, open shelves, like this bathroom above by Darren James Interiors are evolving trends.
1. Falper ‘Via Veneto’ shelves in Sand Oak, $300, Rogerseller.
2. Omvivo ‘Venice’ box-frame mirror in Arlington Oak, $1199, Reece.
3. ‘Ragrund’ bamboo corner shelf, $29.99, Ikea.
4. Bamboo 4-tier shelf, $35, Kmart.
Towel rails & small furniture
Think of your bathroom as a retreat from the everyday, and deck it out accordingly. Perhaps that means a bath-side table for candles and a glass of wine, or a stool for dressing. It’s these little touches that elevate a space from purely functional to wonderfully indulgent and relaxing. The key is to furnish for comfort, but not overcrowd the space. And if working with a limited footprint, don’t forget to utilise your walls for things like towel rails and hooks.
1. ‘Pirch’ side table, $895, Rogerseller.
2. ‘Black Concrete’ tripod stool, $250, Some Artists.
3. ‘Tan Leather’ ladder, from $100, H&G Designs.
Towels & mats
Draw inspiration from luxury hotels and day-spas and invest in gorgeous, fluffy towels. Wrapping yourself in a towel is a daily ritual we all love, and as the finishing touch to a bathroom. Simple fringing details and tassels can add an exotic feel to these everyday items, and thick-pile floor mats are perfect to sink your toes into. Another option is sophisticated, slimline Turkish hammam towels.
1. ‘Kami’ towel set in Dove/Indigo, $179/set of 5, Aura.
2. ‘Flocca’ linen bath towel in Tempest Waffle, $155/each, Hale Mercantile Co.
3. ‘Truva’ hand towels in Charcoal, $29/each, and towels, $59/each, Atolyia.
4. ‘Spice’ bath towel, $79.95/each, Sunday Minx.