1. “Choose a builder who will work with you to keep the neighbours informed. Ours was great at keeping everyone happy and on side” ~ Andrew, homeowner.
2. “A designer friend told us to use materials that are honest. We tried to follow this advice and I think the home is better for it” ~ Briony, homeowner.
3. “I used white finishes and taps in the kitchen so I continued that in the bathroom. I then brought in the black with the joinery to get a strong contrast” ~ Melanie, homeowner.
4. Use a water-resistant rayon wallcovering as a textural backdrop for a freestanding bath. “You wouldn’t use a wallpaper in a shower, but it’s fine with a few splashes from the bath” ~ Liz, homeowner.
5. “The right people make a difference. We didn’t use a big building company but chose a sole builder who loves working with timber and helped to manage all the other trades” ~ Jo, homeowner.
6. “I went around with an interior designer to see bathroom and laundry tiles, as well as light fittings” ~ Julie, homeowner.
7. “Live off-site if you can. We were lucky enough to be able to live in our old house while we were renovating, which made is so much faster and easier” ~ Lou, homeowner.
8. Be flexible with your choices. “I originally wanted a concrete floor, but I’m so happy with the [porcelain] floor tiles we chose” ~ Kellie, homeowner.
9. “Our plan was to make maximum impact, for minimum spend, and we agreed the money would be best spent on the living and outdoor areas of the house” ~ Jo, homeowner.
10. “We decided to live in the home for a few years before renovating” ~ Leanne, homeowner.
For more renovating inspiration click here.