When choosing the perfect pot for your plant, work to the proportions of your plant but go for a pairing that works visually more than anything. Consider the mood you want and where the pot needs to sit in the room for optimum conditions for the plant. “There are no rules,” says artist Christina McLean of Trade the Mark, who hand throws all of the pots and planters she sells – making each one unique. “It depends structurally on the look of the plant – play around with different combinations until you find a good match.”
Pots come in all shapes and sizes: square, egg-shaped, cylindrical, urn-shaped. When choosing a pot, consider the plant, the size of the space you intend to place it and the style of your home. For example, a modern home will lend itself better to square or cylindrical designs.
“These are a welcome change from our egg range,” says Poppy Lane of trend-setting Pop & Scott’s new cylinder range of pots. “Their statuesque shape gives an architectural feel in a room and you can style them individually or grouped together.” They've also just added drip trays to their entire range to make them more carpet- and rental-friendly.
“Grouping pots together in a range of sizes builds levels in a room,” says Poppy. “Particularly great when designing your home on a budget.”
Here, we round up a range of large pots to help you find the perfect style for your space.
1. Cylinder (H710 x D400mm), $250, Pop & Scott
2. Corten pot, $1395 (H 600mm x D 400mm), Robert Plumb
3. Crossweave Big Boy planter in Black & Nasturtium (H190 x W180mm), $220, Trade the Mark
4.(60 x 67 cm H), $275 (extra large), Terrace
5. Aluminium Pot (450 x 475mm), $1300, Robert Plumb
6. Benny Planter in Clay (50cm), $365, Life Interiors
7. Raphael Tapered Planter, $295 (Large), Papaya
8. Bompu Concrete Planter in Dark Grey (60 x 60cm), $409, Schots Home Emporium
9. Eden ‘Beton’ Arena plastic bowl (H1150 x W1150), $399, Bunnings
10. Glazelite Tapered Planter (43cm H x 53cm W), $199, Temple & Webster
11. Lotus Black Midland Mesh Large Fibre Stone Pot (36 x 45cm), $75, Bunnings
12. Daggar Planter (550mm x 600mm H), $795, Garden Life
You might also like: