A huge trend in kitchens for 2018 is open shelving. Love the idea?
There may be one place you haven't considered. Open shelving is a great way to display your most-loved homewares and to keep your daily-use kitchenware close at hand.
Whether you are lacking wall space to install open shelving, or looking for more, consider your kitchen island as an option to increase both functional and decorative storage space.
All it takes is a little reorganisation and care with your choices of items to display to ensure your kitchen remains uncluttered and doesn’t invite unwanted build-up of dirt, dust and kitchen grime.
Things to consider when planning to include open shelving in your kitchen island
1. Mix it up with a blend of closed and open storage – divide sections as you need them.
2. Keep it simple – don’t over clutter the storage space and store only robust items that will not be damaged by the occasional knock – cookbooks, copper and stainless steel cookware, baskets, metal and timber breadboxes all work well.
3. Put your favourite items on display – large pots, lidded baskets for potatoes and onions, wine bottles and beautiful stacks of matching crockery.
4. Keep it tidy - only store items you use daily to ensure constant rotation through your washing-up cycle.
4. Store like with like – arrange similar items together to keep the look streamlined.
You might also like: