Next time you’re visiting your local hardware store, take some time to have a good look around. On your way to timber and tile grout, you might just find some great décor options.
Our top tip is to let your legs to the walking and try before you buy. Whilst many of the options are more affordable than conventional homewares stores, rather than making an impulse purchase, take a photo and measurements of the item to take home with you to double check its suitability.
As many hardware stores sell mostly to trade, you’ll often find slim pickings online and staff aren’t always available to answer phone enquiries. Do your research and measure your space carefully before you head out. If you’re working with a builder on a renovation or even minor building works, check if the hardware store offers a trade discount your builder will have access to.
Here’s a handful of decorative details you may have been walking past:
1. Amber glass pendant light, $121.50 Hardware & General
2. Five shelf storage unit, powder coated in Black, $130.27, Supercheap Auto
3. Transparent castor,125kg load $17, Bunnings
4. ‘Geelong’ diamond plate toolbox 1220mm, $249, Mitre 10
5. Storage cube in Natural Sea Grass, $14, Bunnings
6. Pinnacle pet fort dog kennel, $139, Bunnings
7. T pull drawer handles set/6,in Satin Chrome, $19, Home Hardware
8. Brass ship bell, $29.12, Bunnings
You might also like: