Not all transformations require deep pockets or demolition...
When taking stock of the decoration of her living room HB creative director Imogene considered an update was in order, spurred on by the deadline of an upcoming birthday celebration dinner for her husband, Jim.
"With my husband's 50th birthday fast approaching and our plan to create a pop up restaurant in our lounge room for the big night, we thought it would be fun to bring a touch of drama to the room by painting a feature wall. An easy and inexpensive update for maximum impact!"Imogene Abady
Imogene was after a quick and easy change that didn't cost a lot so, in just five hours from start to finish, she and Jim added a coat of rich navy paint to create a more intimate atmosphere in the room, both for the dinner party she had planned and to add an elegant note in the room to remain thereafter. Watch our video to see how they did it, and what a difference it made.
"Not only did it create a great backdrop on the night but actually made the room feel bigger."Imogene Abady
A stunning transformation in a single day. Here's why it works:
Paint, 'Ooling', Dulux
Chandelier, try 'Grace Marie Therese' 5 light chandelier, Temple & Webster
Armchair, try 'Toulouse' armchair, La Maison
Glacier Demijohn bottle, Zanui
Plantation shutters, try Blindsonline.com.au
1. Remove all items from shelves and surrounding area
2. Fill and sand any holes or cracks before you begin
3. Dust walls and give surfaces a good wipe down
4. Tape around edges and to mask any hooks or attachments nearby or within the space - particularly when using a dark colour
4. Use a paint brush to cut in along edges and around other architectural details
5. Coat remaining wall using a roller for a smooth finish
6. Apply a second coat with the roller if necessary
7. Style it up with your favourite objects and accessories
Get the look
(left) Glacier demijohn bottle, Zanui // (centre) Grace Marie Therese chandelier, Temple & Webster // (right) Toulouse armchair, La Maison
For more Room Recipes, see below: