As we head full-swing into entertaining this summer, one of the staples in your repertoire must be a cracking cheese platter. HB food director Imogene Abady shares her secrets for getting it right.
“You have to be a romantic to invest yourself, your money, and your time in cheese.”Anthony Bourdain, Chef and author
Few people can baulk at an abundant cheese platter and, for Imogene there’s no question of including a generous spread of seasonal bounty on her table when entertaining, “It’s my favourite thing”, she says.
“The key to creating the ultimate cheese platter is balance – sweet and savoury flavours, plus soft and hard textures all working together,” Imogene explains.
Building the perfect platter
- place a selection of soft and hard cheeses down your board
- add a knife for each and various crackers sitting alongside
- add small bowls of olives and loosely twisted slices of prosciutto
- fill gaps with nuts, fruits and honeycomb
- finish with herb sprigs or flowers from the garden
Remember a brilliant cheese platter as an option at the end of a meal too – add a handful of fresh or dried figs, grapes, berries or other fresh fruit and you have the perfect dessert to share.
You might also like: