The temperature’s dropping but there’s still plenty of Autumn sunshine to bask in. And you should do it in style — not in the rickety, splintering old deck chairs you’ve been hanging on to for a while.
Outdoor chairs have come a long way, too, now sporting styles equally as fashionable as indoor furniture. Plus, many are made of almost-indestructible materials.
What are the best materials for outdoor furniture in Australia?
When choosing indoor furniture, you have carte blanche. When choosing outdoor armchairs on the other hand, you should look for fabrics and materials that can withstand Australia’s varied weather conditions: sun, heat, rain, humidity, wind and frost. If you’re lucky enough to live near the ocean, salty air may be a concern.
Here are some of the best, most durable materials for outdoor chairs:
- Aluminium: this lightweight, rust-resistant metal provides a good base for outdoor chairs; look for powder-coated versions for added durability and colour.
- Stainless steel: also rust-resistant and extremely strong, this metal alloy is basically indestructible. However, it can become very hot if left out in the sun.
- Teak: used in shipbuilding, this timber is ideal for outdoor use and over time develops into a beautiful silvery grey colour that never goes out of style.
- Resin wicker: designed to mimic natural wicker, this version is made from polyethylene resin fibres that can better stand up to weather and UV exposure.
- Rattan: this natural vine is woven into strong but lightweight pieces of furniture; rattan is best for undercover patios and balconies.
- Canvas: comprised of natural cotton and commonly used for tents, this sturdy fabric both feels nice and is made to last.
- Synthetic fabrics: materials such as Sunbrella and Olefin are human-made textiles that are tough, water-resistant and colourfast, meaning they won’t fade.
Ready to invest in some fancy-pants new outdoor furniture? To get you started, we rounded up 10 of our favourite garden chairs on the market right now. And, psst, some are on sale. Oh, it was nothing!
Best outdoor armchairs to buy in Australia
Imagine you’re gazing over an African savannah while sitting in this cosy-but-sturdy armchair, crafted from eucalyptus timber, even if it’s just a Hill’s hoist or your veggie patch. We love the plush cushions in timeless charcoal.
Available in several colourways (including rainbow!), Life Interior’s retro-inspired lounge chair isn’t just a place to perch. It’s a beautiful piece that will look good even when the weather precludes you from heading outdoors with a G&T.
If the Hamptons aesthetic is your passion, this classic outdoor chair will fill the brief. Constructed of weather-resistant aluminium and resin wicker, it’s bound to survive many, many years of outdoor aperitifs and morning cuppas.
Comfortable and chic, the Branzie features hand-woven rope, robust hairpin legs and a nice deep seat for all-day lounging. Because of its earthy, organic colours, this armchair will look right at home in almost any outdoor setting.
Durable and statement-making, the Havana is crafted from solid acacia wood and polyester strapping — it’s UV-resistant, waterproof and colourfast. So whether you pop it by the pool or on the patio you know it’s going to serve you well. If only it served martinis, too.
Green is good! You can stack Fenton & Fenton’s powder-coated aluminium outdoor chairs when not in use, but then why would you? Leave them on display in your backyard, on the balcony or by the pool for an extra pop of subtle colour.
Design lovers take note! The brainchild of the Italian designer Paola Navone, the Low Lita — made of moulded polyethylene — adds both colour and humour to your al fresco area. Get on the chubby furniture bandwagon.
Wicker is a timeless look for outdoor furniture (and indoor furniture, come to think of it) and the Koa’s natural colour will complement any garden setting. At this price, you can buy two and add a sweet side table so snacks/a book/a giant pitcher of Arnold Palmer is never far away.
Looking for an outdoor chair you can truly curl up in? Cue the Sierra, which features cloud-like cushions and a sleek, durable aluminium frame. You can also order a cover for extra protection from the elements, for the odd (very odd) occasion when it’s not in use.
Houe furniture is made with sustainability in mind and the Avon outdoor lounge chair was also created to look light and unimposing in your garden, balcony or courtyard setting. Although designed in Denmark, the dark green works seamlessly with the Australian landscape.