If you’re hosting a BBQ this weekend and want to impress your guests, here are some ideas to bring extra flavour and flair to the proceedings.
1. It’s the little things
Oil the grill – prepare your grill for all the goodness you’ll be throwing at it with a good clean, followed by a coating of oil to prevent sticking and make cooking easier.
2. Start with a punch or cocktail
Mix up a fruity cocktail or punch to serve to guests on arrival and get the party started. Freeze ice in big blocks to drop into your punch bowl – it melts more slowly so lasts longer.
3. Make your own dips ahead of time
4. Add flavour
- Marinate the meat ahead of time for greater depth of flavour. Try our recipe for Burgers with cheesy ale sauce & onion fries.
- Mix your own mayonnaise with a little mustard or garlic to add flavor, serve with your homemade chutney for good measure.
- Mix up a herb butter to add to your steaks after cooking
- Use charcoal to add a smokey flavor to meats and BBQ corn
- Use herbs as a skewer – stalks of rosemary work a treat!
5. Offer vegetarian options
- Prepare vegetables such as whole potatoes, cut pumpkin and carrots by wrapping them in foil to roast in the coals or on the side of your BBQ – particularly if you have vegetarians to feed, this keeps things separated.
- Buy some firm tofu and marinate it (separately) in the same sauce as your meat to ensure a tasty offering.
- Grill spears of asparagus and thick slices of haloumi cheese
6. Dessert on the BBQ
Halve stone fruits and figs and place face-down on the grill for a lovely treat at the end of the day. Have some cinnamon sugar and marscapone on hand to top once charred.