Taken from her wonderful new cookbook Wholefood Child in collaboration with Thermomix, Louise Keats puts her common-sense approach and healthy spin on pancakes, which can also be easily adapted to become dairy free pancakes.
Place almonds into Thermomix mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 9.
Add banana, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, eggs, kefir milk and 2 teaspoons of the oil to mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 5, until smooth and well combined.
Place a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Pour ¼ cup of the batter into frying pan and gently spread out evenly (approx. 12 cm diameter). Cook for 1-2 minutes, until bubbles begin to form on the surface and base is golden. Flip pancake and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until golden and cooked through. Transfer onto a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture, adding extra oil if needed (makes approx. 14 pancakes in total).
Serve pancakes topped with ricotta (optional), mixed berries and syrup.
- Baby’s serve: wait until your baby is managing some finger foods (which may not happen until 8-9 months or older) before offering them these pancakes. Cut the pancakes (and berries if needed) into pieces that your baby can easily hold. Omit maple syrup.
- Toddler’s serve: serve as is, cut into smaller pieces, with just a little (or no) maple syrup.
- You can replace the almonds with hazelnuts in this recipe. Or, for a nut-free alternative, you can use a mix of pepitas and sunflower seeds and mill as per step 1.
- You might like to replace the wholemeal flour with purple wheat flour, which contains antioxidant anthocyanins. You can find it in health food stores or online. Alternatively, you can use spelt flour.
- Kefir milk is a source of probiotics and can be found in health food stores and some supermarkets. You can substitute with milk or a mixture of half natural yoghurt and half milk.
- You can replace the virgin coconut oil with macadamia oil in this recipe.
- To make your own ricotta, refer to the recipe on Cookidoo®.
- Dairy free banana pancakes: Replace the kefir milk with almond milk or coconut water and omit the ricotta when serving.
You might also like: